Fishing Pole Antenna (Part 3)

I thought I had made breakdowns for all my antenna projects, but I guess I was just sending them in emails to people that asked for them. Here's the loadout for the Fishing pole antenna. This started as a 53' end fed vee with a 9:1 unun that branched into two different antenna. Project29 and this.

  1. Caribeaners from a hamfest somewhere. Irving I think. 3$
  2. Paracord from Dollar Tree 3$
  3. Shakespeare 20' Crappie pole from Amazon 20$
  4. Landscape stakes from Lowes 9$
  5. Guy ring made poly-carbonate golf car windshield 0$
  6. rope tensioners made from poly-carbonate golf car windshields 0$ (Check out these alternate tensioners)
  7. 22gu stained wire at 29ft length. 11$ 100' roll  on Amazon (Not seen)
  8. 9:1 Unun 0$ Donated to the project by Craig Coley WB5KUO (Not seen) the exact model ebay listing

There's also a couple of jubilee clamps to keep it from collapsing from guy rope tension. Also I have 4 bundles of 8 1m radials that I use on everything portable I have. Pet boarder fence wire is super cheap for this.

Project29

I only named this Project29 so it was easier to search in my email and notes. This started over here. This really started as an idea of an antenna for the attic and just evolved into this. The 9:1 you see here will actually go in my attic with 53ft of border fence wire. No idea how that's going to work out.

Read more: Project29

The end feed that became a vertical

I started this afternoon testing various end fed wire antennas when I hit 29ft with a 9:1 being to be the perfect combo with 50ft of coax and a ugly balun at the beginning. Then I got to thinking of the antenna Gary gave me and the extra bits too. So I stacked a 29ft aluminium mast and stuck the 9:1 on it. It worked pretty good albeit very directional. So I'll test again with my fans of 1m radials. Nice to put something together that actually works for a change and zero maths applied to it. 

So the chain goes like this right now

Radio -> coax -> ugly balun -> 50ft coax -> 9:1 Unun -> 29.5ft aluminium straight up. 

Note: I needed that ugly balun there so the coax shielding reflection would work as a counterpoise for the antenna. That's why it was very directional.

Read more: The end feed that became a vertical

MagLoop testing (part 1)

This is the first test in the line of probably many. I have spent quite a bit of money playing around with failed antennas. So this time around I'm trying to almost solely use junk to prove it works first. I got a few variable caps from Milton the other day, unfortunately they just weren't big enough for this project. However they do work for fine tuning. The cheapest cap I could find online for power was 55$. Nope, not spending 55$ to find out it really doesn't work. So I came up with this idea for a capacitor. Not sure what it's capacitance is as the battery in my meter went dead this morning while testing it. It currently works only on 20m even though it's design is for 40m. Later today I'll setup in the yard to test it on battery power. Maybe try the LiFePO4 batteries too.

UPDATE:
I did take it to the yard and got one QSO with AF6O in California. That was the point I realized I wasn't feeling very good and packed it all up and went back inside.

Read more: MagLoop testing (part 1)

This is where you can find my other ramblings