I was looking around in old parts boxes today when I found these really kewl hinges. I examined them for a bit and right before I tossed them back in the box I had an epiphany. Instead of spending 60-70$ on a RAM mount why don't I just build my own. I needed some thing that wouldn't tear the cover when it was on, so this is what I came up with. I still lack a locking mechanism. I was thinking about a sliding window sash lock or touch catch.
Not the first time I've worked on this Caballero. My Dad's last in a great line of El Camino's and Caballero's. This has allot already done to it, but it still desperately needs help.
- New upper and lower control arms
- New shocks
- New draglink
- New tie rods
- New idle arm
- New rear air shocks
- New tires
- Rebuilt Rochester Quadra-bog (might get a 750 dbl pumper)
- New alternator
- New ac compressor
- New ac lines
- New windscreen washer and tank
- Steering sector
- Steering wheel (Absolutely nasty with human slime)
- Brake hoses, all five (they feel swollen)
- Drums, discs, pads and shoes
- Door hinge pins and bushings
- Door striker bolt
assessment still ongoing.
Short little video of the little things we've gotten done so far.
The transom is pretty much done. I used rust-oleum marine topcoat in oyster white and mixed in about 3/4 bottle of Castin'craft brown pigment. It was meant for polyesters and epoxy so I figured it would work in this application. I got as close as I could get to the boat's base colour. It has two coats here. Tomorrow I'll sand it a bit and roller the final coat.
See more pics here.
Cleaned out the rotten transom and filled it with carbon-core. It's a short video mostly in high speed. They'll get more detailed when we're back in the boat working, Next part of the repairs will involve the 3D printer.